Monday, October 8, 2007

Sir Elton John - Truly Amazing!!!

Elton John October 7, 2007

I saw Elton John in Sioux Falls last night, yes that’s right Sir Elton made a stop on his tour in little ole Sioux Falls, SD. Dad was able to get 2 accessible tickets, row 2, seats 1 and 2. I had probably had the best seat in the house. From where I sat on the riser I could see Elton perfectly and he could see me. While I was sitting waiting for the show to begin I was going to pull a roadie aside to see if I could get a guitar pick, but none of them got close enough for me to get their attention. I really wanted an Elton John guitar pick to add to my collection.

The show was amazing and breathtaking. It was 2 ½ hours of pure Elton John. OMG – the rush and emotions I felt when he took the stage was unlike any band I have ever seen. He came out bowed and stood on and around his piano and I almost started crying it was that intense. He did all his classic hits and a few songs I didn’t know. My favorite is Tiny Dancer and I decided to go get a t-shirt during a song I didn’t know, well of course there are a bunch too choose from. When I heard the chords to Tiny Dancer I said I’ll take the black one with the tour dates. I wanted to get back quickly. He was a little raspy when he talked, but you couldn’t tell when he sang. I saw him smile a couple of times my way and there was no one behind me so I’d like to think they were for me, but I’ll never know.

I was freezing my ass off the entire show, but refused to put my sweatshirt on because I was looking pretty damn cute in the top I had on and there was this HOT guy in a wheelchair and his HOT friend next to me. To keep warm I didn’t sit still in the chair at all so I constantly moved back and forth and/or bounced up and down. I’m single – I’m allowed to bounce. Plus I had a good bra on so it’s not like the girls were going to come out for show and tell. When I wasn’t doing that I was seriously busting a move as best as I could and singing all the words. Well, when I was dancing and singing along to the songs Elton’s guitarist, bassist, and drummer - Nigel Olsson all noticed. I don’t remember the other member’s names and Nigel’s drum kit had his name on it so it is easier to remember. Got a couple of nods and quite a few smiles. These guys are pretty old, but it was still hella cool either way. These guys are touring with Elton John – I’m going to smile back! Nigel (I love that name) started with Elton in 1969.

The guitarist was closest to me so he interacted with me quite a bit. Well, he was handing guitar picks to the ladies in the front row and well I really really wanted one at this point. Kept thinking about just wheeling down to the front row. The worst that can happen is they tell me to go back to my spot or tell me to leave and the show was close to being over at this point. Well, I didn’t do it right away. I liked my view of the stage and didn’t want to leave it. Then the band went into Bennie and the Jets and the first three rows of people got permission to go in front of Elton so there was this whole big gap in front of the stage with my name written all over it. I told dad I was going down there and he came with. I didn’t think he would stay, but he was having a good time in the front row and security didn’t have a problem with it. I thought the other chairs would have come down there too, but maybe they were scared to. It was a ballsy move on my part, but I’m glad I did it. I was having a blast dancing and singing along.

The drummer kept smiling and waved at me so I waved back. They finished Saturday Nights Alright For Fighting and were leaving for their encore break, but before they all did the guitarist came over and gave me a guitar pick! He goes I know you want this. How sweet it is! My goal for the night was accomplished. I said thank you and with a sweet smile back he joined the others. Before the drummer left he held up one finger and told me to wait where I was. Dad leaned down and at the same time we both said I was getting a drumstick. They came back to the stage and their encore was Your Song and Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me. Beautiful songs. The said their quick good-byes as they left the stage and the drummer blew me a kiss with two fingers and gave me the peace sign and I blew him one back, but he didn’t bring his sticks. Dad goes – maybe you are going backstage? I said yeah right. I couldn’t go anywhere with 7000 people trying to leave so I just stayed where I was at. The drummer’s tech was taking his mics off his kit, but pointed to me and told me to wait right where I was and that he had something for me. When he finished he came over and gave me the sticks Nigel played with ALL night. How freakin cool is that? I thanked him and my god was he gorgeous. Nigel must have said something during the encore. I wasn’t expecting both. The older crowd (I was one of the babies at the show) was impressed to say the least. I was totally stoked! They have his name and signature on them. They are going with my collection of drumsticks.

It was an amazing night and after 38 years I’m glad Elton John decided to play some of the smaller cities and come to Sioux Falls. I’ve been watching his dates for Omaha and Minneapolis and almost died of shock when a Sioux Falls date was announced. Tickets sold out in 15 minutes. He didn’t make as much money coming here, but the 7000 people that were there will never ever forget it. Elvis played here two months before he died and it is a toss up as to who is the bigger name. We have had some big names stop here, but nothing as big as those two.

George McGovern walked out in front of me before the lights dimmed. For those who don't know who he is – he was a Senator from South Dakota who ran against Nixon during his second run at President. Like Al Gore – South Dakota didn’t give him his own State vote. He is a huge democrat that does a lot of work with world hunger. The man is 85 years old, but the man sure knows how to dress in some fancy digs. He looked so handsome in what looked like to be a custom made suit. Elton just announced he’s about to play Believe and dedicates it to "[I]A man I never thought I'd get to meet, but I did tonight - George McGovern[/I]." The crowd erupted into cheers and applause. McGovern rocked out in the second or third row ALL night long.

A cute little story Elton told that his dog goes everywhere with him and his dog is from South Dakota. He says he loves that dog so much and he thanks South Dakota for him so he says everywhere he goes a little bit of South Dakota is with him all the time. I found out later from the Arena manager that it is a cocker spaniel and I asked if he got a pic with Elton and if he was nice. He said he was very nice, but to get pictures it was difficult because the dog wouldn’t cooperate. He asked how I got the sticks and I said I beat up the drummer. He laughed and then he got the real story.

With the drumsticks in my hand you wouldn’t believe how many people asked – so you got the drumsticks? And mind you these people weren’t drunk. I didn’t say anything smartassy though I wanted to. A couple of guys my dad works with saw us in the front row, but knowing us they weren’t shocked that we were there. One asked how I always get so lucky with stuff from the stage. I said when you are cute and not pushy you get a lot of cool things from the stage!

While talking to them this guy with a backstage pass approached me with a friendly hello. He introduces himself and it turns out he is a reporter for the Link, a small inside magazine of our city newspaper and asks if I wanted to get interviewed about the show. I said sure why not. I mentioned Tiny Dancer, that I was shocked that Elton didn’t have a big stage show, the guitar pick and sticks as one of my favorite parts, and a few other things. I hope when it is published - I don’t sound like a complete dork. When you are on after concert adrenaline it’s like being drunk and you don’t know what you are saying sometimes. I tend to freeze up. I’ll post it if it makes it in the paper or online addition.

If you ever get the opportunity to see Sir Elton John do not pass it up!

My Pics From The Show.

I have a little video of The Bitch is Back and Candle In The Wind that I'll get up in Photobucket soon.

I made it in this reporters blog section of the Link.
Link Blog

Plain isn't exactly what I meant when I said I was shocked he didn't have a big stage show, but the kid was writing pretty fast. I'll give it to him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.